Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Honky Tonk Barbeque - Chicago, IL

I received a gift certificate to Honky Tonk awhile back so one a cold, snowy night I dragged my friends to Pilsen to check out this place known for their BBQ.  

Here's what it says on their website: 
 
"Honky Tonk Barbeque features championship barbeque pork, beef, chicken and other down-home dishes. We feature slow, wood-roasted beef, pork and chicken. It is cooked over a wood burning fire with no natural gas. This results in pulled pork and smoked brisket that is cleaner tasting and free of the taste of fuel that is noticable in almost all the other barbeque you will find in town. Come and try it for yourself and see what a difference the wood makes!"  They were also featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. 



You feel like you're in a time warp when you walk in, the walls are covered with paintings and other random nick nacks.  It adds to the cozy feel to the place.  They also have live music thursday through sundays.  Unfortunately for the musicians there weren't that many people that braved the weather to make it out to Honky Tonk with us that night.  I think it could definitely be a fun place to hang out on a nicer day.  


One of the random things they have lying around the place, a mechanic arm wrestling game.  Awesome!


They have everything ranging from baby back ribs, St. Louis ribs, short ribs, chicken, beef brisket, pull pork and sausages.  Since there were four of us, we opted for the sampler platter, which came with a half spread of ribs, half smoked chicken, two dinky dunkers (basically pork and brisket sliders), hot links, cole slaw, beans and two corn muffins  All for $30. 


We also ordered some sides.  Here was their mac and cheese. 


Candied yams.  Everything was delicious although I think we all agreed the ribs were the best out of the sampler options.  On each table are three different sauces, I remember one taking more sweet, another being mustard based and the last one being more vinegary.  They were all really good and of course, mixing and matching is the best part!


We of course saved room for some dessert.  We chose their peach cobbler and their banana pudding.  The peach cobbler had peaches on the bottom and a flat crust on the top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  This was so yummy.  I'm not a fan of crust (I know, I know, what is wrong with me) so I can't comment on the cobbler part but the peaches and ice cream together were great. 


I wasn't sure what to expect from banana pudding but this was definitely home made and thus, pretty rich.  Definitely good for sharing, probably not good for one person to consume by themself. 


Overall, I loved the vibe of Honky Tonk and I can't wait to come back when the weather's a bit nicer and listen to some great live music.  The weather in Chicago has been taunting me these days.  The days have been getting brighter, which I love, but it's still freezing outside.  Hopefully things will warm up from here on out.  I'm looking forward to warm summer nights eating some amazing barbeque. 

Honky Tonk
1800 S Racine Ave
(between 18th St & 19th St) 
Chicago, IL 60608

No comments:

Post a Comment