Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kuma's Burger (Lollapalooza) - Chicago, IL


I've been wanting to go to Kuma's Corner forever, but it's up in Avondale and I hear the lines are crazy so I was really excited when I found out they'd be at Lolla this year.


A friend described their size of the beef patties to hockey pucks. The beef patties were indeed huge, 10 ounces to be precise. They had three options: The Kuma Burger (bacon, cheddar cheese and fried egg); the Iron Maiden (Avocado, Cherry Peppers, Pepper Jack and Chipotle Mayo) and the Judas Priest (Bacon, Bleu Cheese Dressing with Apples, Walnuts, and Dried Cranberries).


I opted for the Iron Maiden. You will notice right away that the burgers are served on soft pretzel buns.  At first glance you wonder how you're going to attack this burger because it looks so big.  A lot of hamburger buns tend to absorb the juices and condiments and ends up falling apart.  Here's where the pretzel bun triumphs.  The bun is substantial enough to keep the burger and the toppings together, but isn't too intrusive either.  I find some burgers have too much carb to protein and veggie ratios, but this was just right.  The pretzel bun added a nice alkaline tang that highlighted the beefy patty and tasty toppings.  

Here's my burger after a few bites. I love how the bread does not get soggy. The beef was a bit overcooked, but given how crowded and hectic it was all weekend, I can't fault them for it.  I'm still a big fan.  
   

I can't wait to go to Kuma's and try some of their other burger creations.  Here are some that are definitely on my to-try list.

Lair of the Minotaur: Caramelized Onions, Pancetta, Brie, Bourbon Soaked Pears.

Insect Warfare: Panko-Crusted Goat Cheese, Bacon Roasted Corn and Green Chili Medallion, Topped with Roasted Corn, Cilantro, Green Chili Salsa and Paprika Creme Fraiche.

Anyone want to go with me?





3 comments:

  1. i love that the bun on that burger doesn't look soggy at all. it looks fluffy in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, a fluffy pretzel roll. We'll have to go next time you're in town.

    ReplyDelete