Friday, October 1, 2010

Summer Corn Sauté with Basil

I don't know why but whenever I have roasted chicken, I feel like I need corn.  Creamed, steamed, buttered or grilled, I don't mind, just so long as there's corn involved.  I saw a recipe for this in Bon Appetit where they use a bunch of fresh herbs.  I only had fresh basil on hand, so I just used that and it turned out great.  It's hard to mess up when corn is in season and you have fresh herbs on hand.  



Summer Corn Sauté with Basil
adapted from Bon Appetit

Ingredients
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 large shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
6 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 9 large ears)
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped basil

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cumin. Sauté until shallot is golden brown, about 4 minutes.


Add corn kernels, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Sauté until corn is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in all herbs. Season to taste with salt. Transfer corn to bowl and serve.  You could seriously whip this up in 15 mins.  It's fantastic and a super easy and tasty side to go with any meat dish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment