Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bouchon Bakery - Yountville, CA

I had the pleasure of going to Napa a few months back for a friend's bachelorette party and of course, I had to make a stop at Bouchon.  I coerced my friend Jules to meet me in Napa for the day and she kindly obliged.  I had arrived earlier than expected so I decided to walk around town and explore my surroundings.  I had already made plans to stop at Bouchon Bakery after lunch, but I was shocked by the line I saw forming outside the door.  I did what every person does when faced with a potential mob scene, don't ask questions, just stand in line and follow the herd.  For all I know, the line could have led me to an edge of a cliff and I still would have been none the wiser.  
 
I didn't have any intention of buying anything yet, but I felt compelled to sneak a peek.  I was chit chatting with some fellow patrons, who got a kick out of the fact that I was visiting from Chicago, and before you knew it I was face to face with a young guy at the counter impatiently glaring at me to bark my order at him.  They probably tire of all the visitors and the never-ending lines, so I could understand why his sole purpose was to take my order as fast as possible and get me the heck out of there.  In my moment of panic, I did what any confused girl would do ... I ordered a croissant.  I don't even like croissants, but everyone around me was ordering a croissant.  I made it this far, so why not follow them off the edge, right? 


They have a cute little patio outside, where I plopped myself down to take a picture for you all.  Can I just tell you how amazing this croissant was?  Perfectly flaky, not overly buttery with almond paste nestled in the middle.  I had to fight the little birds, who were approaching me from all angles, intent on getting all of my leftover crumbs, of which there were plenty.  If I were a bird, I would camp out here for the rest of my life. 


It was actually a blessing in disguise that I got to try the almond croissant because when Jules and I went back after lunch to get some to take back home with us, they were completely sold out of all of their croissants.  Now I know, you must get there before lunch if you want the good stuff.  I was able to snag some chocolate goodies for my friend Will and some macaroons for the road.  Their macaroons are quite large.  Jules says it looks gross because it's too big, but I didn't mind in the slightest.  The little macaroons are great, but sometimes they are so little that I pop those in my mouth and before you know it, I've eaten like 10 in one sitting.  
 

With Bouchon's macaroons, you feel completely satisfied eating just one.  I think I got an assortment of passion fruit, raspberry, caramel and espresso to take back with me.  They were really good, but I tell you .. that almond croissant was something else.  You need to go get some if you happen to be visiting Yountville, NY or Las Vegas.  Don't forget to bring me back some too.  :)   

Bouchon Bakery
6534 Washington Street
Yountville, CA 94599

No comments:

Post a Comment