Monday, July 19, 2010

Honey Cornbread Muffins

Instead of making a second batch of the Chino Farms Buttermilk Muffins, I decided I'd try out another one. I've earmarked four other recipes that look intriguing and this was one of them.

I asked my friends to take a vote of their favorite between the two and the majority of them preferred these muffins. Whereas the other muffins were moist from the sour cream and buttermilk, this muffin was more dense and had a grittier texture, more what you expect from a typical cornbread. The addition of honey added a nice touch of sweetness as well that they liked.

I liked the addition of fresh corn kernels in the other muffins, so I added a half of cup fresh corn to this recipe as well.

Honey Cornbread Muffins
adapted from the Food Network (The Neelys)

Ingredients
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (cut from 1 ear of corn)
2 large eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Into a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.


In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, eggs, butter, and honey.


Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Add in the fresh corn kernels.


Place muffin paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin. Evenly divide the cornbread mixture into the papers.


Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Voila, honey cornbread muffins!


These definitely have the look of cornbread, with the flatter tops. I think the Chino Farms Buttermilk Corn Muffins would be great for breakfast whereas these are basically individual sized cornbread, which are perfect for an outdoor BBQ. These two recipes are definitely keepers!

2 comments:

  1. how about some honey butter to go along w/it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted a swiss meringue buttercream recipe and I kid you not, it tastes like honey butter. I gave my cousin some extra frosting to use as honey butter and she loved it.

    ReplyDelete