Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cafe Stella - Silver Lake, CA


I'm a little behind in my posts, so this is yet another one from LA. I'm in NY and headed to Madrid tomorrow. I am excited to be going to Spain, but also a bit nervous that I am just winging the first half of this trip. I can be a little be neurotic when it comes to planning trips. I usually plan weeks in advance and look up hotels and make a list of places to eat and things I want to see, but this time around, I only booked the first 2 nights of my trip in Madrid and that's about it. I'll just have to figure out what I'm going to do for a week while Pete meets me in Barcelona. I bought two guidebooks to read on the plane, but I know that once I sit down in the plane, I will just pass out for the duration of the flight until I land in Madrid and then I'll just be one confused girl sitting in a Madrid airport. hahaha. Don't worry folks, I'll be ok.


So back to this cute cafe in Silver Lake. I had drinks here one night a few weeks ago and it was adorable. It totally reminded me of a cafe in Paris. It’s hidden from the main street (Sunset Avenue), but they have a huge sign on top. You kind of have to walk through a courtyard to see the outside of the cafe. You’ll see an outdoor area with cute Parisian tables and chairs set up. I think the main entrance faces the street perpendicular to Sunset Ave. There was indoor seating area, as well as a bar area next door. Outside, there were several tables set up. We chose to sit outside since it was a warm night. Each table had candles on each table. It was really quaint and it felt like you were away from the city.


I should have looked more closely at the menu, but it looked like the table next to us was enjoying some mussels and pomme frites. We ordered some wine and they brought out crusty baguettes with some butter that was delish. We had already eaten, so we ordered wine and some dessert. I got the bread pudding, which had a small scoop of ice cream on top with creme anglaise on the bottom. It was yummy but it was a lot of bread pudding. I don't think I've ever met a bread pudding I've been able to finish, so it's nothing personal against this one.

My friend got the chocolate cloud cake, which basically was two thin slivers of dense, fudge like cake on some whipped cream, hence the cloud reference. It was a bit too rich for me, but some die hard fudge people might like it. Sorry, I again forgot to take pictures of our dessert before eating half of them and the chocolate cloud cake picture didn't come out that great. So just believe me when I say, it was not worth documenting.


They had a good selection of wine and beer. They even had Chimay, which is one of my cousin’s favorite beer, on tap. It definitely warrants a return visit, perhaps next time to try their food. Although I'd be perfectly happy eating their bread and sipping some wine again. =)


Cafe Stella

3932 W. Sunset Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90029

No comments:

Post a Comment